Sunday, September 16, 2007

I worked!

This? Was neat.

The store is tiny. The boss referred to it as a Volkswagen bug of a place. The coworker who'll be showing me the ropes is a scruffy, thin, expressionless fellow with glasses, who speaks in a dry, toneless whisper that can barely be heard from more than three feet away. He sits at the desk slumped against the shelves next to him like a fatigued stuffed animal. He's put a CD of mp3s in the DVD player, which fills the store with a constant, fingernails-on-blackboard jazz noise. There's a zillion DVDs tucked into a complex and disorderly arrangement of shelves and drawers behind the desk, all numbered. I alphabetized some of the boxes out on the racks, learned a bit about the somewhat arcane computer system, and started ringing up some customers.

I pushed Firefly on one couple. I am proud of myself!! I also had one customer come up with The Fountain and got her to rent Pi: Faith in Chaos instead.

I call up a customer account and suddenly there's a pop-up message. 'The boss says: Only Stephanie can rent on this account!'
"Uhhh..." I stare at the guy handing me a stack of three boxes, and look to the other employee for help. He tells the guy what it says. 
"Oh, okay I'll go get her, she's outside." he says, blinking, and heads out.
She comes in, and we inform her that the account has $93 in late fees. This is apparently the reason her account has this note on it, as she's been trying to prevent friends from misusing it. After the people with her have each chipped in some assorted $1s and change, they get the balance down to $79 and head out laughing about how it's all so dumb because they can actually see the front door of the shop from their apartment window.

"Last name?"
The man smiles, and pulls out his wallet.
"Ohhh, I get it-- it's one of those that's hard to spell?" I say happily as he hands me his credit card.
"You'll understand in a minute." says the other employee from behind me.
I punch up the account, and it pops up with a note: 'This customer can't talk right now. He's had dental surgery of some kind.'
"OH. I gotcha... I'm so sorry!"
The man smiles patiently and makes me put his change into the tip jar, and heads out with his movies.
The other employee explains, "He can't tell me what he's had done, because, well..."

The boss turns up-- only for an hour, as one of the other trainees has infected him with strep throat. He puts me through my paces locating the categories on the shelves. He brings us tea, and sets some hershey's kisses on the desk, telling us he'll be very disappointed and sad if there is any chocolate left by the end of the shift.

"So this is your first night? I guess you haven't had the Adult Rental Experience yet." the other employee remarks presently.
"Um... no. I didn't even realize there was an Adult section upstairs--" they call it the Mezzanine of Smut-- "till I saw the sign just now."
"Well, don't worry, it doesn't come up very often. We don't do much organizing up there. Some people refuse to."
"I'd be more concerned about handling returns."

The other employee decides to introduce me to someone working at the partner store at the other end of town, quite randomly handing me the phone.
"What are you wearing?"
"Uh... a purple sweater and some jeans." (This is an even funnier conversation when your boyfriend is standing two feet away.)
"Okay you win already, because most people just say OH MY GOD." ...Assorted flouncy babble follows, ending with "Okay you know what like five customers just came in so I'm gonna have to go, good luck, goodbye, I LOVE YOU and I hope you last, and that's something because I hate EVERYBODY."
Mind you, "Uhh" is about all I'd managed to say in the course of this conversation.

At the end of the night, the other employee tells me in his dry, faded sort of way, "It was a delight, you did very well." as he's shutting the door.



No comments: